Old Drugstores

Dublin Core

Title

Old Drugstores

Description

Drugstores were apparently a part of the Richmond business scene from the early years following the incorporation of the city in 1809.

Perhaps the oldest known drugstore location in Richmond is the building on the corner of Main and Second St., which was vacated only a few months ago by the Begley Company. That location had been used continuously as a drugstore for over 140 years. We don't know the earliest owners, but during the middle and latter parts of the 19th century, it was Hagan's, then Hagan & Herndon, then T.S. Hagan (not the same one).

In the early 1900's, it was R.C. Stockton, and then Stockton & Son (Edward C.), until the move to the present Stockton's location across the street.

It is thought that Collins' Drugstore on the corner of Main and First St. is the descendant of previous drugstores on that site since 1828. It is generally known that this drugstore provided medical supplies for the wounded at the temporary hospital at Madison Female Institute, about two blocks away, up on the hill where Madison High School is now.

Other old drugstores were Thomas Drugs, later Perry and Thomas, established about 1885, at 221 West Main, and Richmond Drug Co. There was more than one drugstore by that last name, the last of which was apparently at 134 West Main. In 1910, it was managed by Earl H. Ellis who had a P.H.G. degree (whatever that is).

W.G. White established a drugstore in Richmond during the last half of the 19th Century and began to manufacture his own medications. In the 1890’s, he had no less than 47 medicines on the market, and several "drummers," one of which traveled as far away as Atlanta.

His chief products were White's Headache Powders, White's Chicken Cholera Cure, Star Worm Medicine, and White's Cream Vermifuge.

Other items in his line included Southern Chill Cure, White's Eye Water, White's Restoration "for nervous debility, loss of manhood, etc.", and a poison called "Death to Rats" which not only killed rats but also figured in a murder or two in Madison County.

The store later became Ball and White, then Ballard, White and Francis.

Creator

Dr. Robert Grise

Date

8/16/1972

Rights

Content may be freely copied for personal and educational purposes with appropriate citation. Permission is required to reprint.

Files

https://s3.amazonaws.com/omeka-net/2707/archive/files/4cd21d6cae48e4acf776edee05127dd3.jpg

Collection

Citation

Dr. Robert Grise, “Old Drugstores,” Madison's Heritage Online, accessed March 3, 2024, https://madisonsheritage.eku.edu/items/show/796.