What Happened 30 Years Ago?
What Happened 30 Years Ago?
Back in 1961 the Richmond Daily Register staff was made up of the following: Keen Johnson, president and publisher; T.B. Challinor, vice-president and general manager; Shelton Saufley, secretary-treasurer and editor; Randall Fields, city editor; Harry Johnson, advertising manager; Dudley Hendricks, city circulation manager; Mrs. Ru Bee, country circulation manager; and Mrs. Merle Winburn, society editor. And that was it. At that time, Chester G. Luxon was mayor of Richmond. The city had a council form of government and the council was made up of James W. Ault, Chester Jones, LeRoy Brunner, Preston Lanter, Paul D. Minch, Mrs. Nancy Palas, Ed Parks, Charles H. Terrill, Millard Wiseman, Delbert McCowan, James C. Todd, and Garland Jett. Tommy M. Smith was the police judge, H. Douglas Parrish was city attorney, Geneva Harkleroad was city clerk, Allen H. Douglas was city treasurer, Mary Louise Bales was city tax collec-tor and Edward J. Cosby was city tax assessor. Carl Turner Newland was chief of police, R.W. Montgomery was fire chief, W.V. Jackson was city auditor, Eugene S. Wiggins was city prosecutor and the building inspector was J. Perry Detherage. City Hall was located on the corner of West Irvine and First Street (generally where the Miller House sits). The city jail was behind City Hall. In 1961 C.A. Riggert was president of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce; C.D. Oldham was executive secretary. Neville T. Cotton was a young excavating contractor, Oren Collins ran a drug store on the corner of Main and First. He had been a druggist there since First Security Bank is there now. Mr. and Mrs. R.D. White operated the Dixie Dry Cleaners on South Second Street. They had run the business for 18 years; the business had been begun in 1913. Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Pergrem, with aid from their dog, Cutie, sold "Doggone Good Insurance." The long time operators of Stockton's Pharmacy were Jesse C. Davis and Neville G. Todd; and Robinson Paint Store sold Porter paint and wallpaper and did picture framing and glass work under the direction of Guy W. Robinson. J.E. Bonfield was the Texaco oil distributor. Joe Palmer sold Studebakers, farm equipment and home and garden supplies at the corner of First and Water, while you could buy baby chicks and poultry supplies from Richmond Farm Service at 102 So. Estill Ave. The three hardware stores in 1961 Richmond were Oldham & Powell, Best-Lovell, and Bluegrass. The last two are still in operation. G.L. Borders of the Borders-Snowden Insurance Agency had help at the McKee building office from Mabel G. Rhodus, Eunice B. Allen, Jeanette C. Dean, Franklin Warmouth, and Ralph A. Dean. Jim Moberly was manager of the Cole-Freeman Insurance Agency, which also ran a realty and auction company under the same name at 112 Big Hill Avenue. Mrs. Mary Armstrong ran the Armstrong Rest Home at 160 Smith Ballard. The house was one of Richmond's old mansions. Congleton TV and Radio was on Boggs Lane and the Goodyear store was at 135 East Main. The Richmond Greenhouses were run by Minnie M. Reichspfarr. Muncy's Furniture had been in operation since 1918 and Spears & Florence Turley ran an insurance agency. Also in the insurance business was Burnam & Harber with its brass rail and old clock. The Denny Insurance Agency was at 138 North Second. Other agencies selling insurance included Branham, Dykes, Farm Bureau, Griggs, Jett, Johnson, Lain, Rice and Williams. Thus you have a bit of insight into the Richmond of 30 years ago 1961.
Dr. Fred Engle
Content may be freely copied for personal and educational purposes with appropriate citation. Permission is required to reprint.
Dr. Fred Engle, “What Happened 30 Years Ago?,” Madison's Heritage Online, accessed January 30, 2023, https://madisonsheritage.eku.edu/items/show/925.